View Single Post

January 31st, 2007, 18:29
Well, your accusations are still totally unfounded and paranoid and it's outright silly of you to imply that these sites merely exist to collect personal information.

First of all, you can fake all personal information. No one can check whether your name really is Duffy Duck or not . The only thing that needs to be correct is your e-mail address so you can activate your free account. Big fucking deal. Just get a free spam address from one of those free mail providers for the sole purpose of signing up to sites that you consider suspicious and you're good to go.

Secondly, those "exclusive" deals have never worked. You were always able to find any demo hosted on other sites or BitTorrent shortly after it was released.
That's why they have changed the wording accordingly. As you may have noticed, it usually says now that the demo is "to premier exclusively on [GameSpot/GameSpy/IGN/FilePlanet]". The key word here is premier. It just means that no one is supposed to publish the file before one of those sites does. Again. Big fucking deal. Just check at what time the demo is due to debut on GameSpot/GameSpy/IGN and then check your preferred file hoster 15 or 30 minutes later.
You definitely don't need GameSpot, GameSpy or IGN/FilePlanet to download a demo. I haven't used any of those sites in years and I've always been able to play the demos that I wanted to play day of release (I usually get them from Gamer's Hell or a German file hoster called K-Files (KGN)).

I really don't see where the problem is. At least with demos. The only thing that is pretty lame and annoying sometimes is when they have subscriber-exclusive stuff like certain beta tests, stress tests etc that are only open to paying subscribers of GameSpot or IGN/FilePlanet or GameSpy. Those deals are luckily very rare though.

Moriendor

Spielkind