View Single Post

February 2nd, 2007, 23:10
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
And -no- before someone makes the suggestion that they should have just diverted resources from multiplayer to single player, I don't think you can do it just like that.
Integrating "new" people (which the MP folks -despite some familiarity with the engine- would effectively be in regards to the SP aspect of the game) into an existing rather massive project takes a lot of time and poses a significant risk to the entire project.
That's why it would seem to me that the decision to let them flesh out the MP aspect makes sense.
Agreed. From the very little that I understand it, doing that is a bit like saying, "Hey, instead of baking this pie at 300 degrees for an hour, I'm going to bake it at 900 degrees for just twenty minutes!" In some game areas, throwing more resources at the problem will not cause it to go faster or better.

It'll be interesting to see what effect "MMO" versus "Multi" has on the Single-player experience, though. It's not as large as the difference between "multi" and "single-player only", but it's still sizeable, and does (I believe) some interesting stuff to decisions like how many resources you can have on-screen and how much combat data you can expect to send across the network at any given time.

(Note: If I do have a game developer hat, and I don't know that I do, I'm not wearing it right now. This is just me looking at it as a fan.)

PatrickWeekes

Sentinel