View Single Post

February 3rd, 2007, 04:29
you forgot the word some before the word fans there.
Why would you claim to be a fan of something and then want it to be something else? That would be kind of like saying Halo was a great game, but would have been a lot better as a real time strategy game.

Apparently, a lot of people are of the opinion that because the atmosphere, humor, etc. were so paramount to the success of the franchise, that these elements can be transplanted to a dissimilar game and still be a success. And it just might be. None of that really has to do with Fallout being a video game. Fallout was an isometric, turn-based roleplaying game.

Of course, without the atmosphere, humor, etc., Fallout would not have been as great. But Fallout was more than just a setting. The way the game played, in my opinion, had as much to do with its atmosphere as the story.

First person, real time games can be immersive. They have the ability to put you in the middle of the action in a way that causes you to think on your feet. This gives a certain atmosphere and because of this first person perspective and real time are frequently used in games that are fairly fast paced. Seeing exactly what your character is seeing facilitates games of this type. Fallout however is not fast paced. It was not an action game. It was a turn-based rpg. This, to anyone who plays video games, suggests an entirely different gaming experience than something such as Oblivion.

And this is why I believe Fallout fans (the majority of them anyways) seem to be very skeptical of Bethesda when they say that FO3 will be made on the same engine. Oblivion is very different from Fallout reguardless of what Bethesda thinks.

Basically I guess it comes down to whether you think Fallout was the sum of its parts or something greater, and I'd like to believe most Fallout fans take the latter position. Fallout was not a great game for any one reason; it was the accumulation of everything. The thought of removing any of it just doesn't sit right, which is why most of us would prefer it to be left alone than to be resurrected as something else, something not Fallout.

hordespawn