View Single Post

February 6th, 2007, 22:18
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
OK, then - let me toss out one of those great subjects for the 'relativity debate'

I believe that in all fields of art there are objectively great works that are 'better' than others, even if an individual person doesn't like them. For example, Beethovan's 9th or Wagner's Ring or Ellington's Far East Suite are all truly great human accomplishments in the artistic realm, and even if you like Van Halen better, every one of their works is objectively inferior from the standpoint of artistic achievement.
While I'd LOVE to agree with you there, it reminds me of an argument - no, a short dialog - I had with nother club member 20 years ago. We were talking about contemporary music, and one of the hottest new artists at that time happened to be Sade. My co-clubber turned out to absolutely love her music while I just couldn't stand it at the time. When I told the lad that, he snapped: 'Then you don't understand diddly-squat about music,' and left.
So?
Do I have to understand something to like it? Or to like it to understand it? Actually, I like to happen both Cool Jazz and Elevator Music , but Sade's old stuff still is not appealing to me.
I find it tremendously difficult to be objective when it comes to art. If I feel like saying 'his brushstrokes speak of incredible artistic skill, but the style is not my cup of tea', then I personally would not define the work of art as great.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

Meet my wonderful MX.
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team