View Single Post

February 8th, 2007, 00:20
Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
I tried the demo of FF12 and found it terrible. Mind you in the demo you only get to experience the combat — but that's what I found severely lacking, some kind of real time system in which you have little control of your party's actions. Do you know if combat in the demo is the same as the one in the full game or as it changed ?
I played the demo too and was underwhelmed. In fact, it almost prevented me from buying the game. It felt like some sort of "whack-a-mole" slideshow with very little strategy or involvement from the player.

The game itself starts off like this (tutorial mode), but then it really begins to open up and you find yourself doing the pause, queue up spells, queue up attacks, queue up buffs/de-buffs thing that made BG2 so much fun to play.

Also the AI routines are so customizable (via the Gambit system) that it is like you are given a sheet of pseudo-code to attach to each PC in the party. Take some of the more detailed preset AI routines for the Infinity Engine and then double (or triple) the complexity. Very fun and addictive, especially for stats junkies. For everyone else, it just makes for a very smooth and playable party system.

Lord Alex