View Single Post

February 8th, 2007, 03:50
Originally Posted by abbaon View Post
No, my impression is not that the battle is already won. My impression is that it's not an even fight, and it's not even close. Bethsoft has proven its ability to develop and market a game. The team they have now delivers megahits.
Yeah, so did Interplay. In its core, the concept of Oblivion with Guns is not that far away from BG: DA with Guns. Hell, the popular defeatist attitude around the BoS fiasco was that this was a SLAM DUNK! hit. But it wasn't, was it?

Also, so far, their marketing hasn't exactly been bumped about by opposition, has it? Hell, Legacy had hella support from the STG fans.

Originally Posted by abbaon View Post
If your opinion of your influence rests on the assertion that public perception of Bethsoft hangs in the balance, ready for that fatal nudge, then you want to support that. If Oblivion's failure to live up to its promises has fractured the fanbase, then show how large a fraction of customers felt cheated by Oblivion. If Legacy has cast a pall on its publisher, then show that a statistically significant number of gamers would even know what the hell you're talking about. Otherwise there's no reason to regard Bethsoft as anything but the overwhelming favourite in the battle for mindshare.
That's a self-fulfilling prophecy anyway. If you're just going to call Bethesda the winner before the mental fight, then of course they win the fight.

And I *just* said it would degrade to a yes-no because all of the above by you is outside of the scope of proof without market analysts and a severe overload of statistics. The *impression* I've formed from the ESF is that there are a lot of pissed off "fans", who represent the fanbase to some margin, since other buyers aren't fans, just casual buyers/customers. Wander over to Star Trek Gamers to see how Legacy has cast a pall on its publisher, with them blacklisting and alienating a 200k-hit-a-day fansite.

But like I said, this is just yes-no-ing

PS: don't say "your influence". I'm not talking about myself nor NMA. All we can do is nudge, not steer.
PPS: what're you proposing anyway? Collectively roll over and give up on quality games? That kind of self-fulfilling prophecy thinking is exactly what just makes it worse, y'know.

Brother None

SasqWatch