View Single Post

February 11th, 2007, 17:12
Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
I played the Xbox version. If you've played previous Bioware games you should find the story rather familiar; combat is simplistic (for my tastes) and the characters, with one or two exceptions, are uninteresting.
To be honest, this is probably why I am fighting the urge to pass this up entirely. After some of the uninspired story elements in NWN2, I'm feeling a bit finicky about devoting 20+ hours to a game with little thematic pay-off.

The game is very linear, with small maps and locations…
Again, this appears to be the new gold standard for today's RPGs: extremely linear main story with small maps and little exploration coupled with a few area-specific sidequests. This design has been chosen by Bioware, Obsidian, and others for one simple reason: it is the easiest (read: cheapest/fastest) to implement. It is also a lot easier to bug-fix.

However, linearity can often be a game-killer for me and is the reason that I've been struggling through NWN2 and still haven't finished it yet. So, I guess I'm still undecided on this one. Gothic 3 might actually suit my tastes better, once it gets a few more patches under its belt.

Lord Alex