View Single Post

February 14th, 2007, 11:19
Everyone plays differently and it is, in fact, your own responsibility as a gamer to decide when or how often you can save before you start killing your own fun. The thing is, the possibility is there and it is a means to something that it even worse: the unbearable frustration of having to play through the same piece of dungeon you have been through, doing the same actions, inventory management, party reforms and combat, because you are stuck on this one encounter.

Who cares if the game lets you quicksave? In the same vein, you can just as easily set the game difficulty to 'easy' or even go out and grab yourself a cheat off the internet. I've really never understood the part where "when it's part of the game, it's not cheating" anyway. You provide for your own fun and if you decide to ruin it for yourself, it is your own decision, be it by use of the quicksave button, a difficulty slider, a cheat, powerleveling, or whatever. I personally don't play games "to beat them" so I can go on the internet and boast about it, so it's a non-issue.

Except that resorting to a hint or walkthrough on the internet can become extremely addictive and since it's so easy to do these days… you run the change that you make your game essentially a chore where you follow directions. Where are the good old times where you needed to connect to a BBS and spend long minutes downloading a zipped text file with a 2400 baud modem for your walkthroughs?

Thaurin

SasqWatch