View Single Post

February 15th, 2007, 22:39
Josh isn't praising Bethesda - merely pointing out that Oblivion's gameplay, for better or worse, is a likely design template candidate for the future. Even if he was praising it this wouldn't suggest he would try to apply the same design to Van Buren - especially since that project was very different than what Bethesda is currently doing.

From a technical perspective, as long as a system works it's appealing to any game, CRPG or otherwise. Oblivion has no particular advantage over other systems that haven't been done before; in fact, there's a likely handful of better systems out there which would be good candidates for a shift in the genre. From an action combat standpoint I'd much rather see developers looking at titles like God of War or Devil May Cry, or games like Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell for ways to improve stealth.

There's an undoubtable amount of design elements that would do well to spill into CRPGs. Personally, I have no qualms about the genre dwelling into a more 'physical' approach to its games which is to say, I can enjoy Fallout as much as Deus Ex as role-playing games. The only thing that bothers me is how character skills will play out in a player-driven context.

Role-Player

Watchdog