View Single Post

February 17th, 2007, 21:13
Another introduction hung-up on graphics and animation, as if lip-syncing and facial expressions are the be-all and end-all of immersion and tacit points.
BG2's characters managed to convey their thoughts and feelings on stuff without switching between talking heads, because it had competent VAs and writing. If the tones and inflections used in the spoken word are done properly, or the text reads as intended, I don't need to see an artificial head mugging at me to get the point (which, without meaning to sound churlish, is usually quite melodramatic, so difficult to not understand).
Then again, I guess you have to keep upping the ante in a 3D engine. I just tend to think it'd be better to work on the machinery and gameplay of games, then do the odd graphical flare here and there, if you absolutely must.

It's a bit sad that we have to wait 7-odd years only to have a game hoping to have the same level of depth and quality as the 7 year-older.

Still, DA has always sounded highly ambitious, which is admirable, and I'm certainly looking forward to it. Let's hope the cutlist doesn't grow too much on the run-up to release.

Dyne

Watchdog