View Single Post

February 19th, 2007, 22:16
Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
I actually don't think that the town portal save system is that bad. You do not loose gold, levels or xp points when you die. You just - literarlly go home.
I still don't get what this actually adds to the game. I haven't actually played Silverfall, so bear with me if these comments don't apply.

This type of system killed Diablo 2 for me. Yes, I know I'm the only person on the planet who feels that way.

Start playing, find miniboss Bloodraven, kill Bloodraven (Yay!), 'phone rings so I quit for the night. Of course, I can't just save where I am - that would be too easy. Next day when I start it up I'm back in town, so after I trudge back again, Bloodraven has respawned. WTF?

That destroys any sense of the world and any feeling of an RPG, for me. I know these things are really action arcade games with a thin RPG wrapper but with the good ones, I can still feel part of a fantasy world (albeit a silly one with over the top combat). When it's all just "fake" arcade action and everything respawns and I always restart in town, I fee like I might as well go play Pacman.

And I don't get what it adds? These things are idiot-proof mass-market consumer-friendly…so why can't I save where I am instead of having to repeat stuff?

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team