View Single Post

February 19th, 2007, 23:52
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Start playing, find miniboss Bloodraven, kill Bloodraven (Yay!), 'phone rings so I quit for the night. Of course, I can't just save where I am - that would be too easy. Next day when I start it up I'm back in town, so after I trudge back again, Bloodraven has respawned. WTF?

That destroys any sense of the world and any feeling of an RPG, for me. I know these things are really action arcade games with a thin RPG wrapper but with the good ones, I can still feel part of a fantasy world (albeit a silly one with over the top combat). When it's all just "fake" arcade action and everything respawns and I always restart in town, I fee like I might as well go play Pacman.

And I don't get what it adds? These things are idiot-proof mass-market consumer-friendly…so why can't I save where I am instead of having to repeat stuff?
You hit the head of the nail.

That was exactly what I thought.

This respawning (right spelled ?) is what utterly destroys the immersion in this game.

Thus, it dis-covers itself as a simple means to be a selling product. Muchos dineros, por favor, but no immersion, because that is not needed anyway.

And sell it did !

Yuck !

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR