Thread: Dark Messiah
View Single Post

October 22nd, 2006, 23:57
Originally Posted by nameless hero View Post
But really, its not a hack-n-slash as such. You cant just run into a room with 5 orcs and click your way to victory.
Actually, you most likely will be able to. That's what I hate about these heavily scripted games like DMoMM. If you rush ahead carelessly then -yes- you will very likely be getting your ass handed to you because you will inevitably run into the carefully prepped "death traps" that the developers have placed along your way.

That's why you're more or less "forced" to -at least if you don't want to die and reload too often- move ahead carefully and as soon as you realize that you have activated a trigger point for a script, you just need to run back a few meters. Then you can usually conveniently watch all hell break loose where the developers wanted or anticipated you to be and when the "death trap" has been "disarmed" (or discharged), you can just move into the room or the spot or the clearing or whatever place it may be to kill all enemies rather easily. Well, or pass that area safely without the ground breaking away from underneath you or stuff dropping on your head, depending on whatever the script is set to do.

I'm not a huge fan of that type of gameplay (which is unfortunately used in many FPS games). It's making gameplay way too technical. You just move through the game from script trigger point to script trigger point as the game slowly "educates" you about how to pass certain points.

I'm afraid that DMoMM could become a game just like that, especially because Arkane seems to have set up a lot of locations so you almost have to use the prepped up environment to your advantage.
If that is indeed so then -aside from the "trigger point hopping"- you will probably end up rushing into rooms to check out the setup. Memorize where all the triggers and traps are while you're getting slapped around. Get killed. Reload. Rush into room again, knowing where the rope is that you need to cut or the barrels you need to kick loose or whatever. Rinse. Repeat. Until game over.

That could turn out to be extremely boring after a very short time so in case that is what the gameplay is like, I wouldn't even mind to be honest if the game would really only be 5-10 hours long.

Moriendor

Spielkind