View Single Post

March 11th, 2007, 16:15
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
That's so unethical that it's actually against the law where I live, in California. But good luck getting that law enforced when it comes to software. It's just too complex. So software companies have their own brand of ethics.

I'm not at all surprised that its customers have become increasingly unethical.
I very much agree on this one. Some people might see it as a justification for piracy, but it think it is a valid point. Quality sells, tell me what you want. At least it helps to sell stuff. I would really like to see that gaming magazines emphasise more in reviews if a game is bug free.
But I think there is also another point that is important - not only the technical quality of games on the pc seems to decline, but also the overall quality. Maybe it is only my personal impression, but I have the feeling that there are just less games worth buying nowadays. The last game I bought was NWN2 because I knew I would have fun with it for a loooong time thanks to the included toolset. Unfortunately many games nowadays are mere fastfood. They are either very short, full of bugs, or they are just an uninspired reincarnation of another game. If i buy a game nowadays, I buy a standard EU DVD jewelcase that contains one or two DVDs, and if I'm very lucky a thin manual of 10 sites. 5 or 8 years ago, I got a brilliant package, a manual that was as thick as Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, and a clothmap. If I want something similar nowadays, I need to buy the collector's edition that costs 30 bucks more. And even then, in most of all cases, you only get a cheap ass poster, some useless ingame pet that noone wants, and a broken plastic miniature (value about 0.5$).

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain