View Single Post

March 12th, 2007, 00:10
Law-abiding people are so cute when they try to explain criminal behaviour. Not directed to you in particular, Dhruin.
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
In my opinion, those of you who think piracy is price or quality related are way off the truth in most cases. I believe most people pirate, simply because they can.
I don't. Not many people have more money than they know how to spend. Piracy allows the rest of the population to divert some of their finite entertainment dollars elsewhere. I mean, pirates are clearly videogame fans. They've invested in the hobby, and if they had no alternative they'd buy a subset of the games they currently steal. As it is, Jemy's friends can buy the hardware, steal the software, and still afford, you know, whatever else the kids are spending their money on these days.

Edit: Make that illegal rather than criminal. I don't think the sort of piracy we're discussing is a criminal offense in any country.
Edit Edit: Actually not. Apparently, and this is not a subject of interest, end-user piracy is covered by the same copyright infringement laws as commercial IP crime, but is typically only pursued through civil courts. Fascinating stuff.

Statues wouldn't be better if they could move. Model airplanes would not be better if they were the same size as airplanes.
Last edited by abbaon; March 12th, 2007 at 01:06.

abbaon

Daft as a daisy