View Single Post

March 12th, 2007, 05:25
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
I disagree with that. The market that is currently taken by the Xbox would be occupied by another company if Microsoft wouldn't have taken it. Maybe Nintendo or Sony would be bigger than they are now. Or maybe Sega would still be around (as a console manufacturer). No one knows. But someone would be in Microsoft's place for sure if they wouldn't have taken that place.
I have seen this argument many times, but I think that it's totally false. Both Nintentdo and Sony have shown utter cluelessness when it comes to online play, something that has separated the X-Box and X-Box 360 from their competitors. The Gamecube, PS2, PS3, and Wii never have and never will invite lots of PC developers. Most developers that are shitting on the PC aren't putting their games on every platform. They are putting them just on the X-Box or X-Box 360 (e.g. Bungie, Ion Storm, Funcom, Ascaron, Bioware). To make a long story short, consoles never were in danger of intruding on the PC market before the X-Box came along, and they never would have been. PC gaming is basically nonexistent in Japan, so you would have never seen a PC-like console come from Japan, and very few Western companies (if any) could have made it work besides Microsoft.

PC gaming thrived through numerous generations of consoles before this one. The original NES and the Playstation 1 had far greater installed base than the X-Box or X-Box 360, but you never saw PC developers jumping en masse onto those platforms. Console gaming has always been far more mainstream and popular than PC gaming. There's absolutely nothing new about this. What's new is that now there's a major company encouraging developers to abandon it. And that's Microsoft.
Last edited by doctor_kaz; March 12th, 2007 at 05:34.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch