View Single Post

April 6th, 2007, 20:17
Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
As I understand it from Kharns post, (elsewhere on this forum, in the post about cvg) Interplay probably agreed to sell the Fallout license to Bethesda/Zenimax, since they, Interplay, probably thought that Bethsoft could or would make a hit game = a game that sold fairly or really well. As I understand it from Kharn's post, if Bethsoft's royalties exceeds 1,75 million US Dollars, Interplay also gets 1,75 million US Dollars. And my qualified guess is that Interplay hopes for this to come true as this would mean Interplay's creditors can be paid and there's money in the bank, too.
We don't know what the royalties deal is, exactly (as in how many copies Bethesda has to sell to reach 1.175 million royalties = unknown), but if royalties agreed reach 1.75 million dollars, Bethesda would pay Interplay 1.75-1.175 = .575 million dollars. Not an unusual type of deal at all, it gives Interplay both cash in hand and later funds.

Also, there's no "sale" of the license, careful with terms like those, they cause confusion.

As for "money in the bank", Interplay currently has 8 million in outstanding debts, while a involuntary bankruptcy case is running against them by plaintives who are owed more than 750.000 USD by Interplay. It'll take quite some barely legal trickery for Caen to get out of that one.

Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
I also think that Bethsoft probably was the only indie game company that could pay good money for the Fallout license - meaning that Interplay's struggle for survival…
Bethesda Softworks is not an independant game company, they are a wholly owned subsidiary of ZeniMax Inc.

Brother None

SasqWatch