View Single Post

April 7th, 2007, 17:56
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
I never said they were independent in a technical sense (it was the other dude), but ZeniMax would be stupid run Bethesda with an Iron Fist, I am pretty sure they would give them free reign to pretty much do as they please given that they have been so successful as of late.
Well, look at it this way; imagine that Todd Howard walks up to the board of directors and says "Look, guys, we're real big fans of the original Fallouts and would like to make our Fallout 3 loyal to the originals; turn-based, isometric, and as close to p&p games as can be"

How long, exactly, do you think it would take the board to fire his ass? I'd say about 5 minutes, and that's just to fill in the proper forms.

To make some analogies, this is like Ford's "You can get it in any colour you like, as long as it's black", or the Western Powers' "Palestinians can vote for whomever they want, as long as it's not Hamas". Equally, ZeniMax will have long since (and by long since I mean the moment they pulled the failing Bethesda out of bankruptcy and put them on the road of financial success) made it *very* clear to Bethesda that "You can make any game you want, as long as it follows the exact model of success that the market dictates."

That's not just not "technically" independant, that's de facto not indie, since they have no elbow room. At all.

(not saying that Todd and others don't like the situation just fine or that they would make the games in any other way given the choice, just sayin' they don't have the choice)

Brother None

SasqWatch