View Single Post

April 10th, 2007, 19:18
Originally Posted by guenthar
Almost every game that exists has difficulty scalling in someway and difficulty scalling doesn't mean it is going to have level scalling like in oblivion.
I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. I would say most RPG's historically have not had level scaling, although that is certainly changing these days. Just a few examples would be Fallout, the ultimas, the old gold box games, Bards Tale, and most of the wizardry games.

Originally Posted by magerette View Post
bjon45, don't most combat scenarios in rpgs have some sort of difficulty scaling? I know it's pretty rare to fight creatures that are ten levels higher. From the phrasing in the article it's hard to tell, but it doesn't use the word "sandbox" anywhere. anyway.
BG2 was the first example I can remember that had scaling, and at least in BG2 some of the monsters didn't scale and the scaling was almost seamless (and items weren't scaled or randomly generated). I guess I just prefer the old days when developers actually carefully balanced the game and didn't cater to the lowest denominator.

A retarded monkey banging on a keyboard would eventually win most cRPG's designed these days.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
Last edited by bjon045; April 10th, 2007 at 19:28.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch