View Single Post

April 12th, 2007, 02:39
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Elkston, forgive my ignorance, but I thought education, at least, was equal in America. Self discipline, is not a 'black' issue, it's a problem everywhere because 'liberals' have propagated the belief that we have a 'right' to 'express' ourselves as we wish. Poor self image, is also universal; just ask everyone on a diet.
Brown vs the Board of Education, Topeka, (1954) desegregated our schools, but I would say that nothing is equal in America. We just like to pretend it is. But the dichotomy of privilege is a lot less dependent on color than it once was due to people on both sides of the color line who have worked to change things.

IMO, people like Sharpton are an insult to the African Americans who spent their lives working to improve conditions for their race, who made personal sacrifices, and who never made money or got their name plastered all over the media while doing so.

Role models? There aren't many around for anyone. In some ways, I think american blacks have some of the best: A good example would be the many NFL players who have risen above horrendous childhoods to make a success out of their lives. I'm not denying that their aren't 'race' problems in america, but I'm not sure the root causes are what you listed. Again, I'm looking 'in' from afar, but perception is important!!
I agree, Corwin on the lack of role models being universal. Unfortunately, black NFL superstars are more of a stereotype than a real success story.The two fields that in the past have been most open to African Americans are sports and music. Many of the men and women who rise to fame in these fields are grossly exploited from childhood and have the odds for any lasting financial success stacked against them. A lot of very famous and successful black sports figures(not to mention stellar jazz musicians) have ended their lives in the same poverty they came from.

I grew up in the north, where segregation was illegal (yes, even back then!! ) but there was still bigotry and racism. It's a battle that is fought in people's minds and hearts as much as in the courts. chamr may have a point maintaining that unchecked idiocy can be used by idiots to substantiate their racism, I just don't think that's the case in the Imus situation. As roqua said, the issue is self-limiting. He's branded himself and everyone who listens to him as beyond the pale, corporate sponsors are pulling the plug, MSNBC won't air his show,etc. If I were one of the Rutgers women he slandered, I would be suing him for all he was worth. All these things are appropriate to the situation. Nobody needed to head up a lynch mob and pretend that he's a mainstream threat to civil rights.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team