View Single Post

April 12th, 2007, 14:38
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
Have you looked at the faces of the team as they line up to be grilled by the media on their feelings? These are young women whose lives have been totally derailed by this jackass. Calling them whores is slander, as they are not engaged in selling sex for money, but playing basketball and trying to get an education. And yes, if they insulted you on national airspace and made you a household word and forced you to deal with every pushy journalist on the street shoving a microphone in your face, you would certainly be entitled to the same legal redress. These young women may be big enough human beings to forgive the guy, but that wouldn't be me.

I don't see this as being sue happy—that's when you suck down some boiling hot coffee because you have no brain function telling you not to and sue the vendor.

BTW roqua I'm glad you're back.
The legal resdress should be freedom of speach, attack back. No one seriously called them anything, it was a joke.

And the fact they are female is irrelevant. Is our society supposed to be equal or no? Even if there are blatant examples of when its not equal we shouldn't enforce that by seprating women from men in the arena of slang names.

What if Howard K. Stern sued everyone that didn't take his side in this stupid case because his name is a jew name and thats why they went after him?

What if Imus called a guy team a bunch of ball licking child molestors? WHat if he called the same girls a bunch of up-tight puritans? Whats an okay fake insult to give? And what not? What if he called them all dykes? Or tangled haired cave-women?

Either we have free speach and you can insult at will wihtout being sued (unless it actually is libel, slander, or defimation of character) or you can't. It has to be even across the board or the whole system will be even more of a joke than it is right now.

Edit: Thanks for the welcome back. I never really left, just lurked a little.
Last edited by roqua; April 12th, 2007 at 22:35.

roqua

Sentinel