View Single Post

April 14th, 2007, 19:43
Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post
I would've loved them to be TB, because coming from the Golbox Games I am a sucker for that. I even played my way through POR2, using the speed patch. I never and far into TOEE, because it is even slower than POR2 and has no speed patch. The story is even as lame as POR2.

But.. Roqua, why do you start this discussion everywhere you go? It has been done to death and I think everybody should accept the IE games had mediocre RT combat implemented and BG1 and the IWDs had a shit load of unnecessary battles.

But the IE engine is no more. If you want an answer to your question you should write an email to the guys from Planewalker Studios, because as far as I have understood they copy the RT implementation of the IE games in Broken Hourglass, don't they?
Because no one ever answered. this isn't about RT w/ pause vs. TB, this about a specific implementation of RT w/ Pause. That provided in the Infinity Engine. With the narrative of the quite I used.

I can explain why I liked the combat in the games I liked it in, and i can do it without nonsense statements. Someone before told me that RT w/P is a lot more strategic and tactical than any other type of combat in games, but had retarded examples that were the same as me saying, "I like steak more than fish because steak tastes more like fish than fish does." Its not a valid answer.

It from what I read, I that the Plainwalker guys are trying to make Rt w/ P combat that requires more involment from the player. RT twitch games require constant imput from the player. same with TB. That equals player involment in games labelled rpg, a label thats consistent staple throughout the years means why too much combat. A lot of RT w/ P systems require very little player involment. Just one click at the onset of battle, then sit back and watch. Maybe drink a potion. No real reason to cast a spell since the combat would be over sooner if you didn't take the time move the mouse and cast the spell, nevermind if you wanted to pause and cast.

There are crap RT w/ pause, crap RT twitch, and crap TB systems. I hate the combat in the Gothic games, but I can see why people would love it, and they can explain it in a way that makes sense. It requires a lot of player involvement and skill. You have to pay close attention and time it right. Its not mindless (generally). There are a lot of Tb systems that would be better by being RT, since all being TB does is slow the combat down. If my only choice at my turn is to hit this guy, why not make that go faster by making it real time, so at least my meaningless involvement and unnecessary unput is removed for the sake of speed (since my involvement was superficial anyways).

So, now back to the IE games. Obvioulsy its combat was popular. If you like RT w/ P we know why. By why specifically the IE game's combat so much? And if you do find it strategic, how so?

roqua

Sentinel