View Single Post

April 15th, 2007, 08:03
I kind of felt that NWN2 almost forces the AI mode on you, and I was playing a caster. Most of the time I was tweaking the NPC settings(spells on /spells off-(no other real difference in the spell settings between fry and super-fry) or right-clicking and hollering at them all the time: follow me/stand still/guard me…it was absolutely THE most irritating party control I've ever played, and many times I just gave up and used the AI until some suicidal move forced me to manually control someone. (Of course, I played the game anyway and enjoyed it in a masochistic way. )

So to answer Cormac's conjecture, maybe that is what some people want, because it's easier than the alternative-- if you can ignore the fact that you aren't in charge of your party. The game flows along and you are basically a passenger riding from cinematic cutscene to cinematic cutscene. Renting a movie would be a lot cheaper, though.

I'm not a fan per se of the IE, so I can't mount much of a spirited defense, but it did allow some rudimentary party control.
As to anything strategic in the IE engine combat, I can only say retrospectively it's better than it's NWN/NWN2 incarnation. I played mainly spellcasters and clerics, so the waiting and cueing up rt/pause thing worked okay for me.
Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.