View Single Post

October 24th, 2006, 16:04
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
That's right, but keep in mind, to configure the two drives NOT as master and slave, because on one IDE-channel only one drive can work at one time.
Hmmm… not sure if I misunderstood but what exactly do you mean by that? The way you say it, it would be impossible to copy data from physical drive C: to physical drive D: if both drives were plugged into the same controller and one drive would be configured as master and the other as slave. That is not true, however. Of course, both drives can be active at the same time. Otherwise how would you install games from a DVD drive that was a slave of the main HD if both drives couldn't be active at the same time?

For example, I got two HDDs on my primary ATA controller and burner + DVD on the secondary ATA controller. Works great and performs very well. The reason I set it up like that is that both HDDs can operate at U/DMA 100 speed while the optical drives can only operate at U/DMA 33.
My drive setup makes sure that my HDDs have never ever got to slow down to U/DMA 33 speed (when the optical drive goes active) since I got optical drives and HDDs strictly separated. It's a setup that I can definitely recommend. I use my 2nd HD mostly for back-up purposes and the copying from one drive to the other is very fast.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a master/slave limitation in the way you described it. That may be true for serial ATA as the name suggests (serial) but due to the single channel per device design, it is, of course, no problem for several SATA devices to be active at the same time.

Moriendor

Spielkind