View Single Post

April 26th, 2007, 17:48
Originally Posted by doctor_kaz View Post
So games like Tetris and Bejeweled are prospering? Yippee. I'm sure that all of the grandmas and bored housewives are thrilled about that. The rest of us who want to play good games fit for this century that aren't MMO's are still shit out of luck. And like I said previously, the days of MMO exclusivity on PC's are numbered. If you don't believe me, then look at the state of the first person shooter. If you had told people five years ago that the FPS genre would soon be reduced to one decent release every other year, they would have told you that you were crazy. But that's exactly where the genre is now.
Watch with the gramma aspersions There's a crazy lady around here with a pitchfork of doom that could make things ugly

Seriously, the more people being introduced to pc gaming, whether they are lowly females or kids or even the dreaded 'casual gamers' , can only improve the chances of developers and publishers remaining in the platform. Gaming is addictive-hopefully in a good way—and someone could easily start with Tetris, move to Puzzle Quest and be playing Baldur's Gate in a few months, then bemoaning the lack of good rpgs.

The fact that decent pc genre releases are "reduced to 1 every other year" has a lot more to do with development costs associated with over the top graphics and huge teams than it does with a lack of market for the product.

That and the overwhelming greed that requires that a title sell X billion copies before it's considered a success.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch