View Single Post

April 26th, 2007, 21:22
Originally Posted by doctor_kaz View Post
AAA PC gaming is already pretty much dead. Basically, the PC nowadays is World of Warcraft and minesweeper/sudoku/bejeweled. Isn't that the problem?

Almost a 50% drop in sales is very large, especially when you consider that the US economy was very strong for most of the years between 1998 and 2007. I can believe that there are a lot of missing numbers from MMORPG fees, but I don't think that there's much being missed in the digital download neighborhood (e.g. Steam and Direct2Drive)
Lets look at this by up and down in sales:

98 to 99=+.2b
99/00=-.12b
00/01=-.03b
01/02=-.35b
02/03=—.2b
03/04=-.1b
04/05=+.2b
05/06=+at least .1b

The trend is going back up. Will it be back at 1.9 like in 99 soon? Who knows, we'll see. In think TXa is a stats guy. I sucked and barely passed stats in college, but I do think there isn't enough data for anyone to predict, but the indication is that it will continue to go up.

And as to mmo's on consoles. You need a keyboard, interface mods and the modding community is on pc. If anything I see mmo's on the console as a stepping stone to console mmo players moving to the pc.

Again, I pray for the end of mainstream pc gaming, because my pc gaming hayday ended years ago and misery loves company (and I'm banking on indies increasing dramatically with the death of the mainstream), so I want to be with you, I just don't see it.

edit to add on about the keyboard: if you have a keyboard you need something to place it on. Sitting on the couch with a mouse and keyboard just doesn't seem like it will cut it. So you are at a desk with a mouse and keyboard, you don't have the interface enhancements of the pc players, all you do is play the game, the expansion comming out only has better graohcis on the pc, why not just take the small leap and play on the much better for platform for mmo's, the pc.

I can see wow coming out with a console version, but I don't see any series players playing on the console for long I guess is my point. The difference between sit-up and lay back games that that article someone has to remember explained years ago.

roqua

Sentinel