View Single Post

May 2nd, 2007, 12:48
If you want the other side of the debate you should watch Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth".

As far as I'm concerned the question is not whether Global Warming is an issue or not because there are a myriad of evidence that this is indeed the case (glaciers melting all over the world, the polar ice getting thinner and thinner, deserts growing, etc, etc). No, the real debate is whether the Global Warming we're experiencing is caused by man or if it is a natural cyclic phenomena.

Either way mankind has a tendency to turn the blind eye when money is involved. All the way up until well into the 90'ies a so called "study" would pop up and claim that smoking was in no way dangerous to your health every time another study would say that smoking was indeed bad for your health. Of course these counter studies were paid for by the tobacco companies and there was not a single shred of scientific evidence in them. They were all smoke and mirrors (no pun intended).

The same is true today. If we really want to do something about the green house gas emissions and vastly reduce the CO2 emissions and all the other causes for Global Warming, it would mean a drastic change in our daily life. Specifically it would shatter the power the oil companies have today and I can't see them give up that power without a fight, just like the tobacco companies did for decades. This time around, however, I don't think we HAVE decades if we want to do something before it is too late …

Then again, I can only speak for myself and I'm not exactly known as Mr. Positive Optimist, so I may have donned my sign too early, but I'd rather be positively surprised than fatally disappointed.

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic