View Single Post

May 2nd, 2007, 20:28
Originally Posted by fatBastard() View Post
As far as I'm concerned the question is not whether Global Warming is an issue or not because there are a myriad of evidence that this is indeed the case (glaciers melting all over the world, the polar ice getting thinner and thinner, deserts growing, etc, etc). No, the real debate is whether the Global Warming we're experiencing is caused by man or if it is a natural cyclic phenomena.
Yes, I'm sorry… I should have made myself more clear. That's of course the question we're dealing with.

To be honest, I pretty much agree with what most people here were saying, but for the sake of this discussion I'll play the devil's advocate. I can only recommend to watch the BBC documentary (I know it's rather longish), it is interesting… as I said, it is problematic since you hear only one side of the story, but it's still very informative.
Their strongest argument is probably that we all believe that Co2 is responsible for the atmosphere heating up, but that it is in fact vice versa - the heating of the atmosphere is responsible for the increase of Co2 (they claim that there is an 800 year time lag between the atmosphere warming up and the increase of Co2). There are of course many more arguments, but that was in fact the one that made me think - what if the very basis of the theory of man-made global warming is wrong?

Now, I have to admit that I'm a person who is usually very much for the protection of the environment, and I think that this is probably one of the most valuable outcomes of the whole global warming discussion, that for the first time in maybe 20 years the majority of the western world (including the USA) has become aware of environmental issues.
On the other hand, I see that most politicians focus on golbal warming and are not really interested in a more general discourse about how we should treat our planet. Just to give you an example of what I mean - whenever there is a discussion about global warming going on in Germany, it doesn't take long until the first politician pops up and suggests that we should build more nuclear power plants, after all it's such a "clean" source of energy. They seem to be fairly ignorant to the fact that here one environmental issue is replaced with another one…

One of the topics covered in the BBC documentary that very much impressed me was the one dealing with energy production in Africa. Let's face it - the first world fucks Africa whenever possible. We do it on a daily basis, we're basically living in relative wealth and Africa pays the bill. No matter who is right or wrong in this discussion, can we really expect countries like Africa to use alternative sources of energy production, when it hinders their development?

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain