View Single Post

May 2nd, 2007, 22:01
Originally Posted by Ionstormsucks View Post
what if the very basis of the theory of man-made global warming is wrong?
How can it be totally wrong? What is happening to the man-made CO2? Is it -contrary to natural CO2- leaving the earth's atmosphere and flying to the moon or what?
OK. Seriously. If we go by that study that you mentioned, it should take 800 years for the effects of man-made global warming to show up, right? Well, why not begin now to do something about it? We do have a responsibility for future generations long beyond our own lives IMHO. We have pumped trillions of metric tons of CO2 into the earth's atmosphere since the industrial age began. If the 800 year theory is correct then it will bite us ("us" as in mankind) in the arse one day. The sooner we do something about it, the better.

One of the topics covered in the BBC documentary that very much impressed me was the one dealing with energy production in Africa. Let's face it - the first world fucks Africa whenever possible. We do it on a daily basis, we're basically living in relative wealth and Africa pays the bill. No matter who is right or wrong in this discussion, can we really expect countries like Africa to use alternative sources of energy production, when it hinders their development?
I think it makes sense to prevent African, Asian and South American nations who are on the verge of entering the industrial age from repeating the mistakes we made in the 1st world. I agree that we are scewing them over badly enough lots of times but as far as alternative sources of energy production are concerned, it will be for their and our benefit in the long run.

Moriendor

Spielkind