Gothic 3 tweaks?
View Single Post
October 25th, 2006, 11:09
I'm very surprised no-one's mentioned telling XP not to use as the swap file so much. This is one of the biggest performance increasers in general if you've got more than a gb of RAM.
Might be wise to set a system restore point before trying.
1) Export the current registry to a safe place. If it goes wrong you can restore from this file.
2) navigate to HKEY_LOCALMACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Control->Session Manager->Memory Management
3) DisablePagingExecutive -double click it and in the decimal put a 1 - this allows XP to keep data in memory now instead of paging sections of ram to harddrive yeilds faster performance.
4) LargeSystemCache- double click it and change the decimal to 1 -this allows XP Kernal to Run in memory and improves system performance a lot.
5) Exit regedit (no need to save).
Note that windows will still use the pagefile when required, it's not actually disabling it, but this stops windows from assuming it will need to use it so much.
Join Date: Oct 2006
View Public Profile
Send a private message to kalniel
Find More Posts by kalniel