View Single Post

May 25th, 2007, 14:08
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
When playing Dark Messiah, I hadn't finished a M&M game, and certainly didn't think of it as a RPG … yet I still don't think it was a great game. Fun? Yep. But not great.
While I certainly respect your right to your own opinion I just have to point out that I didn't use the word "great" arbitrarily. One thing is to make 3 different career paths to follow, that has been done successfully many times. However, only a few games manages to make each path a completely unique gameplay experience (unique compared to the other paths in the same game).

I literally felt like I was playing 3 different games when I went through Dark Messiah as a warrior, a mage and a thief. Some areas that were a piece of cake as a warrior might pose a challenge for the mage and again be a breeze for the thief and vice versa. All but a very few encounters in the game played out very differently depending on which path I had chosen and that suggests carefully planned level design of a high quality caliber.

That is why I used the word "great" … but hey, maybe I'm just into chopping off the limbs of my enemies or exploding them into a fine red mist … on second thought, scratch the "maybe". I'm definitely into excessive gore and blood and guts and the whole shabang

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic