View Single Post

May 31st, 2007, 20:30
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
OK, so now I think I get it. Your use of semantics makes it confusing, but I assume that is due to language issues.
Hmm… It's most likely due to my language skills really xD But yeah, I'm not English native.

Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
What you are saying is that we should stop making excuses for things that don't work in games by saying 'it is only make-believe'. Accept it as a fully functional alternate reality and embrace it as such.

To an extent we already do that - I know I do! STALKER, Gothic 2, and so on are immersive games that transport me to a different place where I become fully engrossed in how things operate on a daily basis.
Well, I'm not sure I meant that but yes, I think that way, so it probably just "transpired" from my words So, all in all, yes, that's what I meant, although the issue goes a bit deeper, but yes. I'm glad you understood me My idea's nothing much, really, as you can see, but it is seldom spoke about, and people aren't normally aware of it, even if, when told about it, they agree… It's pretty simple: chess is not a reality escape, it is reality itself. When I play chess I'm not making war, I'm playing chess. And so goes for any other kind of game… This can be understood in many ways, but, in the end, it's all about how you *see* games in general, and not how they are… Hmm… I probably wasn't clear enough again xD

Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
I don't play games to play another reality or to go live in another reality. I play games to engorge myself in and delve deep into - and escape —— this reality…
See? There is a small very small nuance in your post that makes me agree with you. It's that "this"… you said "this" reality and not "the" reality. That's what I'm talking about. What you play games for is another matter, and it changes from person to person according to one's personal tastes… I personally play games to *know* other realities. That's pretty much the same reason I read Tolkien's works over and over again even though I know the general plot lines and they don't "surprise" me anymore: I read them to *know* the reality Tolkien created. The concept is not particularly deep or transcendental, it's me not expressing myself clearly I think… xD

huh… me intelligence point have three points are… me… huh… me not are smart has… duh… XD

Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
It's a well known fact that one of the ways of being succesful in cRPGs is to have an unpronouncable surname.
He joins TWO of the ways of being successful in cRPGs: to have an unpronounceable surname, and to have it sound like an orcish surname! xD Perfect for cheesy medieval low fantasy style rpg's

Morbus

Watchdog

Send a message via MSN to Morbus