View Single Post

June 9th, 2007, 09:46
Originally Posted by Unre View Post
And may I ask, is Avellone known for such dialogues? I may be being sarcastic but there are two kinds of ego-stroking - primitive and more sophisticated ones.
Do you mean Avellone is known along with Urquehart and others for games like FO and PS:Torment, whose dialogue and npc interaction were quite a bit more complex? (I have to admit I was parodying Dungeon Seige 2 in my earlier post.)
I think it was viable if already somewhat over-worked to use the concept of a Chosen One in Fallout(2) back in 1998-99; almost ten years and a thousand derivative rpgs later it's just mindless.

Sawyer lead IWD:Heart of Winter with Heart of Fury mode to satisfy the needs of power-gamers. HoF showed me contradiction in tactical pleasure and stats-increasing game mechanism. There are devision between know-nots and knows, have-nots and haves. The system can be exploited easily. This is not fun of pure tactical pleasure but for more primitive ego-stroking.
Okay, I think I follow you here. I agree that just providing exploits in the game mechanism as leveling fodder can be classed as ego-stroking, since you are basically making the process of becoming uber look harder than it really is. Heart of Fury was hard, but not all that much harder than normal, and you got like what, triple experience?

So according to this premise, you are led deeper into the game solely because your ego is flattered by how powerful you become, rather than through story elements or a genuine challenge that requires more than a ramped-up rote response.

I don't know that that's what Sawyer was discussing above, but it may be what I seemed to be saying I suppose. But I really was trying to make the point that a game is only fun—that's what games are for, correct? —when it hits the right balance between making you work for your rewards, then fairly rewarding you.

Sawyer may see purerer tactical fun in Pikmin rather than the games he is known for and is designing for "the addicted". IMO, one of the reasons why Sawyer is popular among BIS fans are he is honest to his game-loving heart even if harsh at times. Many of us think RPG still has its potential but at least a part of its "decline" may have come from RPG fanboism or inflated-ego through our past game experience, to some extent.
I couldn't agree more. If you're saying that rpgs have been dumbed down to a formula catering to the 'instant gratification' mode.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch