View Single Post

June 21st, 2007, 16:13
A little update and an opinion on the first game.

First of all it now appears that neither Sony nor Nintendo are going to "allow" a game with an "Adults Only" rating to be published on their consoles: BBC News. Normally this would have me running around in circles while flailing my arms around screaming "Censor Nazis!!!" at the top of my lungs … but since it is Manhunt 2 we're talking about I can only shrug since Rockstar brought this on themselves.

Of course it also means that both Sony and Nintendo have confirmed the perception that their consoles are for kids but that is a tale for another day …

I actually played the first Manhunt. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about yet at the same time I didn't want to fund Rockstar in any way so I "acquired" my copy … through other channels. The sad thing really is that if you siphon out all the excess violence then the basic gameplay isn't even half bad. The sneaking around, observing the guards' patrol routes, taking out those that can't be avoided and circumventing the rest is pretty well done in Manhunt. However, the 3 levels of violence/gore that most weapons had depending on how long you "primed" the attack was put in the game for shock value. Nothing more and nothing less. I've seen a lot of blood and gore in my time, both in games and in movies, but some of the "execution styles" in Manhunt could even make MY stomach turn and that says a lot.

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic