View Single Post

June 24th, 2007, 21:28
Samhain —-

Unfortunately, English isn't my native language, so let me try to explain.

When I write most games, I mean to say that in most games, the gameplay is that you decide whether or not you would kill children or rape someone for instance or not. I don't mean this (even now) as all games have this feature, but that most games let you decide what you want to do in the game, of course limited by the game's story and plot.

In Icewind Dale, and I think Baldur's Gate, too, you can kill children of you want. You can do the same in Fallout. You can, of course, choose not do this. The point I was trying to make is that in most games, be they rpgs, horror games, and even in some adventure games like Phantasmagoria etc. you can choose whether or not you will be 'bad' or 'good'.

The point being that the rape comment was meant as a sort of answer to the comment of game in which you could rape say women or children. I just meant to show you that if there indeed was such a game, you would probably also have the ability NOT to rape women or children, just as you have the ability (or possibility?) not to kill children in Fallout, BG, or Icewind Dale.

The point of my (rather ) long post was also to support those who say that games need to grow up and become cultural products like books, movies and television shows. And that it is (high) time that society starts viewing
games this way.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor