View Single Post

July 24th, 2007, 21:50
Crafting opinions that others will actually read and enjoy isn't easy, IMO. Somehow, knowing what you're talking about is overrated when it comes to writing reviews.

I had a boss who wrote theatrical reviews that were sometimes published in newspapers like The LA Times. I always admired his ability. He had a PH.D. in Journalism and impressive subject knowledge. But his views were often controversial. I used to answer his phone. Every Monday after he was published, the calls would roll in, regularly from impressive individuals, all to point out where he got it wrong.

Years later my own father started writing and submitting music reviews. But he was a retired engineer who never studied music or writing at all, didn't know anybody and — as far as I could tell — really didn't understand much about music at all. He just enjoyed expressing his opinions.

He was given his own column. Go figure.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]
Last edited by Squeek; July 24th, 2007 at 21:56.

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits