View Single Post

July 25th, 2007, 15:19
I agree with Zakhal and Uberiel. Both science and religion are man's attempts to deal with the unknown and answer the questions of existence. The end result for the uninformed or uninvolved is exactly the same—they have answers which to a large extent they accept without truly understanding. I.E., is there any significant difference in how "the man in the street" sees the transmutation of blood to wine, or how he sees sub-atomic theory? Could he explain either one to himself or anyone else? No, they are both accepted without personal proof, on hearsay and faith.

Science is the modern god, and the answers it provides are at least founded on a rational process. I personally prefer those answers, but those who live a faith based life might find the emotional and spiritual explanations of religion more satisfying. I think human beings have a desparate need for control ("Knowledge is power")to place themselves in the universe and give life significance.

Religion has been behind a lot of bloodshed(and still is) but the hands of Science are not completely clean either. I think an objective view would have to state that they can both be tools for good or for destruction.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch