View Single Post

July 27th, 2007, 13:18
Eh, they've got my money. I loved Gothic and G2+NotR is in my top handful of gaming experiences ever, so I can accept they made mistakes with G3.

PB vs JoWood is pretty irrelevant* but I figure PB will return to their roots and likely produce some excellent Gothic-inspired gaming while JoWood will try to exploit the Gothic brand with derivative second-rate material.

*For what its worth, JoWood published the game and claimed ownership of the brand, so it's now their baby to patch. If you own it - you fix it.

Just for accuracy in the ensuing arguments that are obviously coming, PB definitely had considerable time extensions. I don't think you can argue — and PB has admitted — they made mistakes.

—————-

As a side issue, I've been interested to see several programmers come out over the last couple of months and essentially say they program in their own time to finish/fix assignments.

I find this interesting because this isn't my personal experience. I don't claim to be an expert but have worked in IT (hardware) for the past 10 years and have several times installed and supported installations in conjunction with custom software developments. In almost every case, the software side ran well over time and required additional investment. In my last big project, the client walked away from a significant investment after repeated injections failed to produce a finished product and the developer ultimately wanted anoher huge extension (along with the payments for the additional 6 months work).

Perhaps my clients just picked losers, perhaps their contracts were weak, perhaps Australian programming practices are different…I'm not doubting the individuals who posted but I'm not convinced overall.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team