View Single Post

August 1st, 2007, 03:44
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I've been doubting about Harry Potter for a while now, it never really attracted me so I haven't seen any one of the movies, but since so many people like it I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'd like to hear people's opinion here… Anyone ?
Surprisingly serious, increasingly darker fantasy movies with some teenie elements mixed in. Very expensive, high production values. The guy playing Potter is a very mediocre actor. Most of the other kids are quite talented though and get better with every movie. The supporting cast has to be seen to be believed. Ralph Fiennes, Gary Oldman, Richard Harris, Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, Kenneth Branagh, Robbie Coltrane and the other half I have forgotten. The directors are of similar calibre.

The movies build onto each other to a certain degree. They follow Harryīs fight against "He who must not be named", accompanied by one additional story per movie.
Apparently the books are packed full with details, so donīt expect to get logical explanations for everything in the movies. 2 - 2.5 hours is not enough to losslessly convert 700+ pages of a novel, even though they tried.
The Potter movies have a relatively unhurried pace. They donīt follow the old "one action scene every 8 minutes" rule. All technical aspects are top notch, the atmosphere is convincing. Some of the action seems slapped on and the solutions random and trivial though.
Iīm not a huge fan of the Potter movies, but I have to say that they are carefully made, watchable and certainly quality products. Especially the later ones are not really suitable for younger children. Even the earlier ones have critical elements like Harry fighting a giant snake.
There isnīt much to worry. Just get the first one and watch it. Or better read the book. I know half a dozen people who confirm the books are superb and so entertaining that people get addicted to them.
My favourites are the first two movies. The first for the atmosphere and the one with the snake for the suspense. Surprisingly the critics prefer the later ones.
Last edited by Gorath; August 1st, 2007 at 04:01.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team