View Single Post

August 1st, 2007, 12:14
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I can honestly say that I've tried to watch the first Harry Potter movie 3 times now. Twice I've fallen asleep and the third time I just got bored and started watching something else.
All I can say is that if you like action movies, fantasy movies, and the like at all then you are being disingenuous or allowing a bias of 'that is popular tripe for kiddies' to influence your choice. They are not the best of all time, nor up to the LotR level, but are certainly better than *any* of the superhero movies of the period, and honestly are not really that far below the LotR stuff IMO.

Being knee-jerk anti-anything popular is no better than flowing with the popular trends, really.

The Harry Potter books have brought millions back to reading who had left it behind, and have inspired kids to be better readers before their time than they would otherwise have been. The books are written at a middle school level but with a high school length for the last four, and are a nice set of tales.

Is there a 'fad' aspect? Sure, but pretty much *anything* popular has that element - look at some of the biggest movies this year - Spidey, Pirates, Shrek and Transformers … all of them over-hyped crap. The quality level in Harry Potter movies, which doesn't rise to the level of the books, *greatly* exceeds any of that stuff.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch