View Single Post

August 9th, 2007, 22:10
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
How old is your daughter? You might want to try reading aloud. That is how we have done it with our boys. Of course, when we started reading they were much younger and couldn't have done it themselves, but we have kept it up. We're reading #7 aloud now (that is, I read and my wife and boys listen) … despite the fact that my older son read #6 in one day in younger son read #5 in 2 days right before we started this one. It is also amazing family time!

She is 7, but she is very sensitive. We do read a lot to her, but she is emotionally very young and there are certain parts in the later books that I know would upset her for days, like the deaths of certain characters.
She still finds Disney movies upsetting for example, even when we watch them with her.

It's not that I think the books aren't suitable for her age, but more for her character. And only the later ones at that, but I don't think it's fair to let her read part 1 and 2 and then tell her to wait a few yearsto read the rest. At the moment there are other books that she can read, the Potter books can wait

Sorcha Ravenlock

Sentinel