View Single Post

August 14th, 2007, 21:38
Well, it's a rather grandiose(and over-used) parallel, I agree. As I mentioned, the article itself is by a journalist, and typically, the sentence he quoted was the only reference in the 14 page report that referred to Rome per se; it is a report primarily about fiscal irresponsibility and aging government, and it's main thrust is to point out that America needs smarter, more responsible leadership from the grass roots level to Washington. I imagine no one can argue with that.

Here's a little snip of the actual report, (which is written in a rather breezy Suzy Sunshine prose—my bold) :

The problem is that much of government today is on autopilot, based on social conditions and spending priorities that date back decades. I’m talking about when Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, and John Kennedy were in the White House. The fact is, the Cold War is over, the baby boomers are about to retire, and globalization is affecting everything from foreign policy to international trade to public health.
Unfortunately, once federal programs or agencies are created, the tendency is to fund them in perpetuity. This is what I mean when I say our government is on autopilot. Washington rarely seems to question the wisdom of its existing commitments. Instead, it simply adds new programs and initiatives on top of the old ones. As President Ronald Reagan once quipped, a government program is “the nearest thing to eternal life we’ll ever see on this earth.” This is a key reason our government has grown so large and so expensive.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.
Last edited by magerette; August 14th, 2007 at 21:42. Reason: added quote

magerette

Hedgewitch