View Single Post

August 15th, 2007, 22:27
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post

I have a feeling that creative use of information technology could push that limit up a fair bit, but it's not easy. For starters, we'd need a culture of transparency in government — make all information freely accessible to everyone unless there's a damn good reason not to.
The impact of information technology is about the only really new thing in the human mix. There's no question that it's a factor that can drive change on almost every level; my Pollyanna-ish *hope is that it will indeed produce not only accountability but response in government.

The best part, to my mind, is that it's a tool that transcends barriers of distance and makes information acquisition and transfer available to anyone with the initiative to seek it out. And it's especially a tool of the young, a very potent force for change in themselves.

Until that happens, I for one am not in favor of deepening European integration — I believe it'll work better as the fairly loose commonwealth of countries that it currently is than a "United States of Europe."
I think you're wise. You don't want to start seeing EU agencies releasing statements comparing things to the fall of Rome.

(*for those not familiar with this american usage, you can check the link—you have to scroll down a bit)

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch