View Single Post

September 1st, 2007, 10:29
Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
In the BG series, if any character died, I would mount an expedition to resurrect them. At low levels, that usually meant skimping on expenditures to save up for the costly spell. If my own character died and the game forced me to quit or reload from a saved game, I would reload once or twice. If that failed, then I would accept that my character's story ended in failure, abandon the game no matter how far along I was, and either play a different game, or roll up a completely new character.

I don't mind that if a character is beaten silly, he or she falls unconscious until the battle ends. What I mind is that reviving them is so cheap — meaning both inexpensive, and lame. In the real world, if my friend is hit by a bullet or skewered with a sword, he doesn't stand up once the villain runs away. Instead, we call an ambulance. Serious things happen. The way BG handled it felt right — you could get anybody back (except yourself) with some effort. The way IWD handled was even better, because your other team members could rescue you if you died. But it took effort.

Hmm. Icewind Dale. Mmm. Kinda want to go start up a new game with a party full of clerics….
I admire your effort and tenacity but I just don't have the time or commitment to an individual game to take that approach. Even if I had the time, I'd get bored replaying the same stuff. Maybe I just suck and die too often but in "classic" RPGs, I'd probably lose a party member in many? most? larger battles first time around (or even second and third). That would have meant replaying BG2 dozens of times and perhaps I'd have never come even close to finishing. Again, I admire your roleplaying spirit but I just wouldn't enjoy that.

On the "cheap" bit, I broadly agree (that's why I was referring to balance above) but I suspect our ideas of an appropriate "cost" would be wildly disparate.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team