View Single Post

September 4th, 2007, 09:33
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
No argument there, from me anyway. I don't know that I missed the nuance you alude to, I was just putting the other piece of the equation—relationship—into the puzzle. The reasons why persons of the same sex are asking for equal treatment in a legally recognized union are manifold, but I think the emotional ones are if not paramount, equally driving. It's a validation, of themselves as who/what they are, and of the legitimacy of their relationship to the other person.

The state can only deal with the legality, at least that's my feeling. But even a civil contract can be an emotional validation, and many seek it for that reason.
Absolutely. I believe most of the acrimony around the issue would go away if the bit about emotional validation and meaning was simply left out of the discussion, to be decided by the individuals concerned.

Have you read Memnoch the Devil by Ann Rice? She propounds a very similar question. Like all lapsed Catholic girls, she can really whang down on the guilt factor.
No, I haven't; I've only read one or two of her short stories.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO