View Single Post

September 16th, 2007, 09:34
Aren't you two a bit naive?
Do you really want to deny that something like game addiction exists which can, like any other addiction, destroy friendships, relationships, families?

We're not talking about people who have gaming as their hobby but keep it in rational limits and are able to manage gaming and social life together.

Were talking about people who spend hours and hours in front of the computer and forget about anything in the real world. Yes I know we gamers dont like to talk about these people, and they may be a minority only, but its still an issue.

I personly know two examples. I have seen two rather close friends ignoring school and social life so that they could WoW instead. One got out of the obsession (to great amount due to his girlfriend) the other one is still waisting a majority of time on playing WoW.

If you have the luck that your partner likes these kinds of games and you can play them together, good for you. However, you can't expect that in most relationships. You can't expect everyone to become a full time passionate gamer for the sake of their partner.
All you can expect is for the non-playing partner to respect her friends/husbands hobby. But every relationship is give and take. So the other partner will have to limit his hobby to spend more time with his/her partner. If he doesn't do it, the relationship has a problem.
And I can imagine there are a lot of people who fail to do this. And I think that especially MMORPGs have a very high addiction-potential.

guest1