View Single Post

September 17th, 2007, 20:23
Originally Posted by MudsAnimalFriend View Post
Good to have inside feedback. However, while I'm keeping an open mind on this one, Bioware's history from Baldur's Gate to KotOR to Jade Empire has shown an incremental move from statistics-driven RPG towards polished, but shallow, story-driven action adventure. As an RPG fan I hope Mass Effect can reverse this trend.
To answer this and be completely clear: you can pause the game, and whether you hit is determined by skills to a large degree, but yes, it's an action game.

Mind you, I consider game genres to be checkboxes, not exclusive choices. I think it's possible to have an RPG and an action game in the same title. So if "Action" is gonna bug you, then yes, you're not gonna like Mass Effect. While it has stats and a really strong RPG system, the combat feels action-y enough that people who absolutely hate action combat won't like it.

Just saying that in the spirit of honesty. Please avoid quoting this out of context on twenty other messageboards. I'm not saying that the game is bad. I frickin' love the combat. But I'm not going to lie and pretend that it's turn-based (or even click-and-wait like BG or NWN or KotOR). It's action combat, with some strategic elements from the pause-and-command system.

PatrickWeekes

Sentinel