View Single Post

September 19th, 2007, 02:41
I've often found that the more you know about someone the harder it is to admire them. I stopped reading biographies of my musical idols because finding out they were junkie burn-outs and/or just plain mean bastards made it hard to feel the same about their work.

Anyway, the real issue here isn't Kerry's personality or integrity, but how far authority is willing to go to "keep control." This student was out of line and rude, but most people don't have a squad of police jump them for making an ass of themselves. The bleed-through of abused power is self-evident here (btw, do we all know who is governor of Florida?) and the real issue is how dangerous free speech is perceived to be by those who don't want to hear it.

Was this guy really a danger to others in the auditorium? If he was, then he needed to be removed. If all he was doing was ranting and being an attention whore, a lack of response might have done more than an over-response. If he genuinely had something to add to the debate, maybe he could have been encouraged to make his point a little less disruptively. I see many solutions besides zapping him upside the head with 50,000 volts.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch