View Single Post

October 3rd, 2007, 21:32
I too prefer boxed, but think that digital downloads are an excellent idea and really do like having that option.

The advantage of a boxed copy is that I get a manual to read, and I'll always have a copy of the game at hand. I like having a printed manual to read on the couch or elsewhere, and I enjoy knowing that my game discs are safe and I'll be able to install the software whenever I want and I don't have to fuss with backups, physical or otherwise. And I don't see the point in a non-physical back-up, external HD or not. I do not trust technology enough for that!
Plus, a boxed copy does give one artwork and whatnot which can be nice.

Digital's main advantage is instant gratification. I buy about 95% of my games on-line, since there is no decent local source, and with digital it's only a download away rather than waiting for mail delivery.

But I like knowing where my games are, where I can see them, knowing the discs are safely stored and organised. Digital downloads are too intangible. Although I do much prefer having the option to not install off of discs.

So all in all, both work for me, I prefer boxed, but both have great advantages.

You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

Gallifrey

Keeper Of Traken