View Single Post

October 5th, 2007, 09:11
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
I'm skeptical tiger, been listening to samples. Hesitant to pay full price on this new one. You can change a lot of things, but the singer is the most dramatic of all changes! It does sound nicely heavy at times, the male vocals are tearing it up too….
I understand… The first track is a 13 minute epic that completely blows you away, with changes in melody about 4 times. In that sense it is reminiscent of Ghost Love Score. The second track Bye Bye Beautiful also rocks the male vocals really well. Unfortunately there are a couple of tracks that Holpainen sings almost exclusively, and that to me has always been a bad thing. He's a great songwriter and backup singer, but not as lead. As I said before, whatshername (can't remember the new girl's name) is no Tarja. Amaranth is the most radio friendly track and is definitely one of the best, but mainly because it fits whatshername's voice really well. You can tell it's a slight deviation from the typical Nightwish fare. Other songs on the album leave you thinking they were written for Tarja and would sound better with her singing them, being too powerful for a less operatic voice.

Listening with a critical ear I would say overall this album is as good as Once, and is definitely not a step backward imho. The songwriting is strong as ever - maybe strongest ever, and in the end just boils down to whether or not you like the new girl.

You were talking about lyrics, and that does bring me to my biggest criticism about Nightwish. I think Holpainen's lyrics are intelligent enough, but he always seems to be creating some sort of story that never really makes sense. Dark Passion Play is no different… right from the beginning "The Poet and the Pendulum," it seems that an epic story is in the making, but again, it's all sort of bizzarre and incoherent. At the end you are left wondering if any songs were linked to the others or what?

I don't know if you are into Progressive metal Sammy, but my favorite concept album will forever be Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime." - Now that's a story! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_mindcrime

"Suite Sister Mary" from that album is an 11 minute work of art.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete